Music.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day in the Life of...

Bologna! Here it is, I took my camera everywhere on Monday. Two of my first classes were canceled so it isn't a typical Monday for me but it is the typical day of mine as a college student. I'm actually surprised at how good this is going to turn out.


Ahhh... Good morning, day! No classes this morning, I'm going to milk my beauty sleep as long as I can (10:12am).


I pulled back the curtains only to reveal a beautiful day.


Look at those icicles! Blue skies and sunshine... good forecast for what's to come.


How can a day go wrong when you start it with a bowl of honey nut cheerios? It simply cannot.


Often I find rides back from class with a friend, Sasa (sounds like Sasha). He's in a lot of my classes and lives on Alpine, too. This is on our way from my apartment complex to the bus stop downtown. We were on our way to meet our group for Fire Science in Allendale.


The way to school: Alpine. When I see all of that Alpine in front of me I have a very "bring it on" attitude towards life.


This is the view from the stop I'm at most. I can transfer from the 9 to the 50, from the Hill Dash to the 9, or (even though I never have) I could transfer from the Hill Dash to the 50. Often I'm waiting here for up to 30 minutes to go back to my apartment.


Hello,50! Only a matter of time until you come back to pick me up!


I was such a creeper on the bus... I might have forgot to turn my flash off.


My view on the way to the Allendale campus plus the cord you pull to signal your stop.


This isn't Grand Rapids... where did a barn come from?


I meet my destination. I wanted to get a picture of the arch but I was limited to what I could see.


This is a point in my documentation that is lacking. Between here and later I went to the library, had subway, got back on the bus, and went to the Center for Health Sciences downtown where my 5 OSH classes are held. And now we resume here:

I'm the first one to class. Go figure, it doesn't start for over two hours. Well since I'm so early, want a tour?


The view from my seat. Everyone knows this is my seat. I never sit anywhere else in all 5 classes I have in this room.


We can store flammable liquids in our classroom. Jealous much?


This is the door to our confined space. I love the sign. It wasn't supposed to be permanently labeled a permit required confined space.


This is a picture of our confined space plus the tripod that stands above it for emergency retrieval. There's actually a hole up there so someone can get harnessed and drop in from above.


These are our empty hazardous materials drums. Nothing too special about those. Except they're housed by our confined space. I guess that's a little strange.


This wall around our computers is an ergonomic wall. It's to relieve stress on the worker's eyes when at a computer station. You might notice that our keyboards and mice are all ergonomic, too.


We also have a noise monitoring booth. It actually doesn't work because some genious fire person thought that it needed a sprinkler installed in case there was a fire inside. Now it isn't sound proofed.


Now that I've give everyone a tour, I sit down to do some homework...

This is school? Phones and iPods? I love school these days.


My first friend has arrived! This is one of my favorites, Jovan. Wasn't he a good sport?


This is Ryan. He lives in the same apartment complex. He's been working out with Kevin lately.


We had a guest speaker in class. He showed us how to use the tripod, how to perform an emergency evacuation, how to tell if the tripod has been used and needs to be discontinued... you name it, he covered it. It was one of the best classes I've had in a while.


Finally... the dinner I've been waiting for. Pizza. Don't judge me, I walk all over Grand Rapids.


The End! (I actually edited all of these pictures, straightened them, and made them nice but forgot to save it all before I uploaded everything. Sorry!)

6 comments:

mickey said...

This was so worth the like, four hour wait, since your first phone call today.

Anonymous said...

That's so cool! I like sharing your day!

carriegel said...

wow, i loved seeing your day. i wish i had pictures like that from when i was in school.

megawatt miler said...

wow thats crazy i didnt realize people studied that stuff like that. none of the confined spaces ive ever been in have had those extraction points to remove people from...im not sure how that makes me feel!

JP said...

Yeeeeup. Emergency rescue equipment is only necessary in a permit-required confined space. I think it's CFR 1920.146(k)(3)(i). It says

An employer who designates rescue and emergency services, pursuant to paragraph (d)(9) (which is permit-required confined space entry) of this section, shall... and then it goes into having the rescue system.

That's minimal though... nothing says you can't have it anyway! =)

megawatt miler said...

yeah i was thinking it was a little crazy because about 90% of the confined spaces i go in are permit required confined spaces (once in awhile they get downgraded to non-permit). but there are never good extraction points, and i always wonder what would actually happen if someone got hurt in there.