Music.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New Job

So. Last Tuesday I met with the guys from Alcoa. As nervous as I was, I ended the night in a very lighthearted state of mind. First we met with the guys in a conference room in the building we (the other two girls and I) have class in and later we went out to dinner.

The meeting went well. We didn't discuss much I didn't already know. Turns out this is the first time Alcoa is going from campus to campus to interview students for job/internship positions. Since we're part of the first group to be hired, we're in the 'Alpha Class'. I guess we'll even get tee shirts. He told me that in Torrance, well, in California in general, the plant is a whole different ball game. He said it will be very challenging, fast pace, demanding, etc. Bring it on is what I said, haha. He even tried to scare me with a story about a girl working an hour north of the Torrance plant in Fullerton that couldn't handle it and had to be transferred. After all of the scare, I'm still excited to go. What's an internship worth if I'm not challenged, right?

Then there was dinner. I don't know if anyone has ever been to Cascade but it's the nicest area in Grand Rapids. Home of the Cascade golf course that costs $20,000/year for a membership. We ate at a place in Cascade called The Bonefish Grill:



To start, Paul ordered appetizers; crab cakes, bang bang shrimp, and calamari. My main dish was the shrimp and scallops with lemon butter sauce and a side of mixed vegetables and green beans. The entire time the guys were laughing and joking with us and telling us how awesome of an opportunity we had. Oh, and heckling the waiter (so funny). After dinner we were stuffed... so Paul ordered us dessert. We had GIANT brownies next to a scoop of real vanilla ice cream and drizzled with raspberry sauce. What a good meal.

So things with Alcoa are progressing nicely. It looks like I'll be out there starting work in mid-May. =)

1 comment:

jporterGOP said...

Sounds pretty exciting. Good luck with all that!