Music.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Island Teriyaki Pork Chops.

I've bookmarked a few recipes in the cookbook I got at Christmas and as the title says, Island Teriyaki Marinade was one of them. Tonight I made it a goal to finally put the ingredients to use. I bought them all about two months ago and they've just been waiting. So how did they turn out?

First I had to call dad. Does garlic go bad? Can you omit ginger? (I actually ended up having the ginger root but it was moldy) How long do you cook the pork chops? Can you do it if they're still very frozen? As you can see... my dad is my cookbook.

It was a long ordeal trying to cook them just right. I learned a thermometer would have been handy (my birthday is in June). Finally, after nuking them, they were ready to eat. Doesn't sound much like dad's posts does it?

They were good; juicy, a hint of soy sauce, delicious. Of course I have my "next time I think I'll do" changes but all in all, very tasty. They passed Jordan's taste test (which hasn't been hard to do so far, Emeril does the job well).

Even though I did it all wrong, the recipe made a tasty nuked chop. Here it is for the masses:

1/2 cup (125ml) low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup (60ml) packed brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons (23ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon (15ml) grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon (1ml) pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

... I just realized I forgot the pepper.

"You can use this marinade for meats, fish, vegetables, and just about anything else you can thing of. Depending on the thickness of the food, you'll want to marinate for at least one or two hours before cooking. Combine all the ingredients and mix well. This recipe will keep for 3-4 weeks if kept covered in the refrigerator. Makes 4 servings."

(Yeah... it's like cooking for dummies).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time I get done cooking i think to myself "next time I think I'll do." I really do this when I am cooking ribs because I think I can improve them after every time I finish cooking them.

Maybe someday I will perfect them.

Anonymous said...

Recipes are really a guideline. Your dad didn't get where he is today in his cooking by strictly following them.

Unknown said...

So true, once I learned recipes are only guidelines cooking got so much easier.

I believe I learned this from Emeril.

carriegel said...

That works for cooking food not so much for baking. The pork chops sound good, I may have to try them.

Unknown said...

That's why I don't bake.