Music.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Life at 21

So far life at 21 years of age is weird. I have a few stories. Let me start with the time I tried to buy my first beer.

The store was Rite Aid, the time was around 1:00pm. I was hanging out with Jordan's mom for the afternoon. She had to make a stop at Rite Aid. While I was there I decided to wander around. "I found the liquor aisle," I said to his mom. Then a thought came to mind. I can finally buy this stuff. It was Monday, the day after my 21st birthday. I looked around for any kind of beer, liquor would be a stupid buy. I don't need a $15 bottle of liquor on a Monday afternoon. The next find was a 30 pack of beer. Again, it was useless to buy 30 beers on a Monday afternoon. Finally I came across a cooler full of individual beers. I knew right away which one was for me. It was red, about 16 ounces, and in an aluminum can. The brand: Budweiser. I knew it was for me because there was a Detroit Tigers' 'D' printed on the side. I made my way to the counter when a thought ran through my head. Maybe they won't let me buy this with a paper license. I was so excited that I couldn't stop myself from saying, "Yesterday was my birthday this is my first attempt at purchasing beer!" with a giant smile on my face. His face, however, was quite different. With a straight face he looked at me and said, "It's kind of our policy that was can't take these licenses. We're not really supposed to." He said it with such uncertainty that I was sure he just didn't want to sell to me because I look 17. This is how the story actually ends, too. I was turned down.

Yesterday Jordan took me to a bar so we could have my first beer and the waitress didn't even card us. She said, "Wow! You two look like babies!" to which Jordan replied, "She just turned 21 Sunday so we're having her first legal beer here." The waitress proceeded to sell us beer without even bothering to check our ID's.

I don't understand life after 21.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand, I didn't understand life before fifty and am hoping I understand it after 50. I will let you know tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Darn it! I'll need to wait more than a year before I understand. Why? BECAUSE I'M THAT MUCH YOUNGER THAN THE FIRST TWO C's! Yeah, me!