Music.

Friday, June 6, 2008

TGI Fridayyy!

Today is Friday but it isn't really special. I have an 8 hour shift at the BCF. Hopefully I'll have some good stories after the weekend. Every day this weekend I work 1:00pm-close (9:00pm Fri, Sat and 7:00pm Sun). Weekends are the most exciting due to the increased shopping volume. You would think working in a retail store that somehow attracts half of the state's minorities I'd have some good stories. So far I just have some notable people. I'll see what I can do to nickname them.

1. "Coke Girl" Coke not because she loves the beverage but rather because she had a striking feature that could be represented by another slang term for coke. Just a guess at her weight, I'd say about 250lbs, she needed another 6 inches on the top of her pants, as well as the bottom of her shirt, and also a very hefty pair of underwear. I'm not sure how she didn't feel a breeze. The worst part? My manager remembered her from the prior week. I guess she dressed the same way.

2. "Crazy mom" For some reason I have this 'problem' thinking people are honest. I had one mother, or mother figure I'm not sure if she was a parent, come to my register and this is what happened: Her family of 5-6 stood right in front of the doors with big purses (this should have been a clue), she rung up one very large boy's shirt (obviously not something for her), she mumbled the entire time and I just kind of smiled and agreed (to make the customer happy) the only thing I understood was "I'm getting all this stuff for them and don't gotta single thing for myself." At this point I'm confused because "all this stuff" was only one shirt. The entire time she spoke fast, bought one useless item, and hurried out the door. Figured her out yet? Later my manager told me her family stole bags full of stuff while she played somewhat innocent/the distractor and checked out.

So far these are the only two that have really made a lasting impression on me. I ring up a lot of young mothers and people who can't speak English (then I feel really dumb for speaking really bad broken Spanish). Hopefully this weekend I'll get some more action. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

carriegel said...

when i was at wal-mart yesterday the cashier wasn't happy with my signature on my credit card. "i sure hope that's you." i assured it was me. her response, "that's what they all say". ah, ok.

Shaelynn said...

They didn't make you watch one of those shoplifting videos? Ugh. After I watched one (while working at Old Navy), I didn't feel like I could trust anyone. It was awful.

mickey said...

As soon as you said she had bags I knew what she was doing.

At Target we had to watch for that kind of stuff.

At Hot Topic is really good with loss prevention, too.

A lot of the sales tactics are simply making sure no one is stealing.